Li Sonetti canzone e triumphi del Petrarcha con li soi commenti non senza grandissima euigilantia et summa diligentia correpti et in la loro primaria integrita et origine restituti nouiter in littera cursiua studiossimamente impressi
In Venegia impressi per opera de meser Bernardino Stagnino,
Francesco Petrarca, "Li Sonetti canzone e triumphi del Petrarcha con li soi commenti non senza grandissima euigilantia et summa diligentia correpti et in la loro primaria integrita et origine restituti nouiter in littera cursiua studiossimamente impressi ", printed in 1513 in Venegia by Bernardino Stagnino.
"Standing within the threshold of the middle ages, Petrarch surveyed the kingdom of the modern spirit, and, by his own inexhaustible industry in the field of scholarship and study, he determined what we call the revival of learning." (Encyclopedia Britannica )
The woodcuts are those of Gregorio edition, in finer engraving and the addition of borders." (Fiske). Marsand and Graesse note this edition based on the celebrated 1472 Padua edition, produced from the autograph manuscript. The Trionfi have a special t.p. and include the six woodcuts designed for Gregorio's edition but here in finer engraving and with borders. Preceeded by the text of "Vita", a biography of Petrarch written by Antonio da Tempo and a dedication to "Federico Marchese di Mantua".
Illustrated with seven amazing woodcuts.
Edited by Francesco Filelfo and Bernardo Lapini.
Half vellum binding with handwritten author on the spine (some defects).
Pages: the book should have 158 + 6 + 184. Our copy is missing six leaves.
The title has been cut out and reinforced on paper. Missing two leaves at the beginning (leaves a4 and a5). Leaf AA1 of the Trionfi, leaf 48, leaf 177 and the last leaf. Leaf 91 and 92 with ink marks censuring sonetts CVI, CVII, and CVIII. Dampstain throughout the book, very small wormholes in the margins of a few leaves, small pieces missing from the margins of two leaves. Tear in the center of leaf 89. Some woodcuts with censures and other minor defects (see the many photos).
Size: 21.5 cm x 15.5 cm; 8.50 in. x 6.25 in.
This edition sells on the Antiquarian market for $ 7,000 to $ 13,000.
NOTE: This book will be shipped worldwide directly from Europe for a flat rate of $25
- Packing and handling is a flat $2.00 fee per order (waived for additional books won on the same day).
- I gladly bundle multiple orders in order to reduce shipping costs! -
- My preferred shipping method is via Priority Mail from the US Post Office domestically. Books can also be sent Media Rate upon request, though the transit time is much longer.
-New bidders with a feedback rating of 0-10 must email for approval before bidding.
- International Buyers – Please Note:
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
- Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.
Thank you for your visit. Please check out my other auctions under the zalocs name.